Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sweet Potato Bisque, Veruka_Dolls

SWEET POTATO BISQUE


I think thats a misnomer - 'cause there's no dairy, the cream-y taste comes from coconut milk. You could add what you like, this would be a vegan version, delicious and Very Cheap to make. People say sometimes its real expensive to eat good food, but its ready-made food that's expensive. I spend less than I did before, even with the higher prices.



I took: 3 nice sweet potatoes and peeled them (i think it was about a pound) and boiled them in water with some seasoning - I would use at LEAST salt, chili powder and tumeric, I used one of those inexpensive seasoning mixes - I think this one's called "Soul Seasoning" Marcum Gourmet Spices - its like a buck per 8 ounces, its mostly salt I imagine so I use it sparingly. It doesn't say exactly what's in it, but it tastes like it has celery, pepper, chili powder, and cumin in it - then it mentions having red pepper, onion and paprika.

I let a good amount of the water boil out (maybe a quarter to half), and mashed the potatoes with the water that was left when they were soft, added a can of coconut milk, and ran it through my blender to make it smooth. Its a lovely colour, too. I guess you could add butter if you eat butter.

3 sweet potatoes, peeled
about 6 cups of water
3/4 teaspoon of soul seasoning
1 can coconut milk.
so that's about $2.50 for the four servings...

Found Here:

http://blogs.ebay.com/veruka_dolls/archive/2008/06
or
http://myworld.ebay.com/veruka_dolls

No comments: